Tuesday, June 21, 2016

2 Jul 2015: A Visit to United Nations Headquarters

2 Jul 2015:



While I was in New York, I took some time to visit the United Nations Headquarters. When visiting the United Nations Headquarters, it is essential to bring along one's identification documents. Guided tours are only offered on weekdays. By the time when I had reached the United Nations Visitor Centre past 1 p.m., all the guided tours were no longer available for reservation. The guided tours will take visitors to experience some of the non-public spaces of the United Nations Headquarters.

Knotted Gun sculpture, Non-Violence.

There were spaces for exhibitions at the United Nations Visitor Centre. Before I entered the indoor spaces of the United Nations Headquarters, I was greeted by the Knotted Gun sculpture, Non-Violence by Swedish artist Carl Fredrik Reutersward at the outdoor Plaza of the UN Visitors Entrance on 46th Street and 1st Avenue. This was made by the sculptor after his friend, the singer and peace activist John Lennon was shot dead in 1980.



One interesting thing about the United Nations Headquarters is that the United Nation issues its own stamps! Visitors can also create their own unique United Nations stamps with their photos taken at the Personalized Stamp Shop. At the UN Gift Centre, visitors can find many miniature United Nations flags as well as those of all Member states. This is perhaps a wonderful place for philatelists?

Admittedly, my legs were aching by the time I was at the United Nations Headquarters so I was spending more of the time finding seats to rest my feet. While resting, I took time to admire the works of art on display at the exhibitions.

My learning point is that anyone who wants to visit the United Nations Headquarters will find it more meaningful to join the guided tour, and to visit as early in the morning as possible to get a place in the guided tour. Admission to the United Nations Visitor Centre is free.

United Nations Visitor Centre
801 First Avenue (Corner of 45th Street)
New York
http://visit.un.org

No comments: