Thursday, June 23, 2016

2 July 2015: The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)



2 Jul 2015:

The Museum of Modern Art offers its visitors a treat to one of the finest collections of late 19th and 20th century art in the world.



During my visit on 2 July 2015, I had the great privilege to see a collection of Andy Warhol's iconic images, get a closed-up view of Van Gogh's The Starry Night, June 1889 and sculptures by Henry Moore. I had started my visit with the fifth floor for in my humble opinion, some of the most noteworthy artworks in MoMA's collection are located at the fifth floor's Paintings and Sculptures galleries.

The visit reminded me of the art history classes that I had taken when I was a teenager. When I was a teenager, I did not quite fully appreciate the value of the art history classes. When I became an adult, I became appreciative of the art history classes. These were the classes that gave me the exposure to artworks by the great artists even though I had yet to see those artworks face-to-face. Having the opportunity to see face-to-face some of the artworks that I had studied when I was a teenager was like a home-coming experience for me. I had learnt about the artworks and finally they were right before my eyes.

I could go back to the Museum of Modern Art countless times to enjoy this home-coming experience. I wished I had more time to spend at MoMA. This is the place to visit for some of the best works of contemporary art.



Learning point: There are classes that we had attended in the past which we did not know why. Yet let us have the trust that a few of these classes will prove themselves to be the best investments that we could make using our time. I know one of such classes were the art history classes.

Special thanks to Mr Ellis, my art teacher in Secondary School for giving me a foundation in art history and in fine arts.

***

The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
11 W 53rd St between Fifth and Sixth aves
Subway: B, D, F, V to 47-50th St



No comments: